You can create performance alerts for each of your environments. These alerts are configured to monitor a metric, and Amazon Web Services will automatically send you a notification when the metric reaches a threshold of your choice.
To create an alert, you will need to provide at least:
- Name – keep it simple and meaningful
- Emails – a list of emails, which person(s) should receive the alerts?
- Metric – the specific information you want to monitor
- Value – the threshold that should not be exceeded
- Period – length of time to evaluate the metric
Once you create an alert, you'll receive an email from Amazon Web Services inviting you to confirm that you want to subscribe to this alert.
An alert has the following possible states:
OK– The metric you've previously selected is within the defined threshold
ALARM– The metric you've previously selected is outside of the defined threshold
INSUFFICIENT_DATA– The metric is not available, or there is not enough data available to determine the alarm state